Friday, July 15, 2011

My RAID5 broke

For the longest time my "backup" machine was sitting in the closet with a broken raid array. I didn't want to deal with so I went without a backup. I finally spent a few minutes and figured out what was happening. One of the disks was not recognized as part of the array for reasons I don't care to understand right now. This is what I did to fix it:

# first i forced the array to start in degraded mode
root@nfs:~# mdadm --assemble -s -f

# then i had it add the drive back into the array
root@nfs:~# mdadm --manage /dev/md0 -a /dev/sdd1

# then i go on vacation for a week while this completes...
root@nfs:~# watch cat /proc/mdstat 

That's it. Hopefully it won't happen again.

No comments: